Mandy chicken rice recipe is a traditional chicken rice recipe which is famous in Saudi
Arabia. In this recipe, the chicken are marinated with herbs and spices mix called Mandy spice
mix before being baked or grilled. The Mandy flavor chicken is then served together with some
rice which is cooked separately. Follow the recipe below to prepared the Mandy spice mix
yourself or buy a ready made Mandy spice for an easy and quick preparation. For a healthier
meal, serve with your favorite salad mix and some cucumber pickled.
Ingredients 1 :
- 1 medium size chicken (~ 2 lb or 1 kg), clean, remove excess fat, pad dry and cut to
about 8 pieces.
- 2 teaspoon Mandy spice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
Ingredients 2 :
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice(for best result use basmati strain)
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 2 clove garlic, crushed and chopped finely
- 1 medium onions, chopped finely
- 1 big tomatoes, chopped finely
- 1/2 carrots, shredded
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 pod cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
Ingredients 3 :
(for making Mandy spice mix, grind and blend to a smooth paste or use pestle and mortar
to crush and ground)
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1" fresh ginger, discard skin and grated
- 2 pieces bay leave
Cooking Instructions :
- Rub chicken pieces with the Mandy spice mix and salt. Set aside to marinate for at
least 30 - 60 minutes in a fridge.
- Grill or baked the chicken in an oven at 330F(165C) with the marinating ingredients
for about 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Use some of the left-over spice mix to
bask the chicken occasionally while cooking. When done, set chicken aside.
- Wash and rinse the rice and soak with water for about 30 minutes. Drain off the water
and set aside.
- In a pan, add in butter and sauté the garlic, onions, cardamom, white pepper and
until the garlic is slightly golden brown or fragrant.
- Add in the carrots and tomato. Stir for about 5 minutes.
- Add in chicken stock and bring to boil.
- Add in the rice and let the liquid simmer for about 30-45 minutes until the rice is
cooked and all the liquid have dry off to give you a fluffy aromatic rice.
- Transfer rice to a serving platter and serve with the chicken.