Steamed chicken with cucumber and wakame recipe is an easy to prepare dish which uses few
ingredients. This is a healthy and nutritious dish as seaweed is known for its vitamins
and minerals. For tastier and tender meat, use only chicken thigh (or other dark meat).
Steamed chicken with cucumber and wakame is normally eaten with white steam rice.
Ingredients 1 :
- 2 pieces chicken legs and thighs, clean and removed skin.
- 4 tablespoons dried wakame seaweed, (soften first by soaking with hot water for about 30 minutes)
- 1 medium size Japanese cucumber (or substitue with normal cucumber but remove the seed)
- 1/3 cup sake
- 1/2 cup ponzu
- Wasabi paste to taste
Cooking Instructions :
- Rub the chicken thoroughly with salt and pour the sake over the chicken. Mix well and
left to sit for about 30 minutes.
- Rub cucumber with salt and left to sit for about 10 minutes to cure it. Then rinse off
the salt and slice the cucumber thinly in a diagonally way.
- In a steamer, place chicken pieces evenly and steam over high heat for 30-40 minutes. Steam
longer if your chicken pieces are bigger and thicker. Ensure that chicken is thoroughly
cooked before removing from the steamer.
Tips : Do not remove immediately from steamer but let it cool first for about 1 hour
before removing to prevent the meat from drying out.
- When chicken is at room temperature, slice it into bite-size pieces and put into a bowl.
Add in the cucumber, wakame and ponzu sauce and mix well.
- Transfer into a serving plate and serve with the wasabi paste as a dipping sauce. Best
eaten with white steamed rice.