This Indonesian roast chicken with candlenut is simple and fast to prepare roast chicken recipe. It uses lots of candlenuts (or kemiri in the Indonesian language) to give the gravy a creamier texture. If you cannot find candlenuts at your local shops, you can substitute it with macadamia nut instead as they have the same high fat content and texture when grounded although without the slight bitter taste from the candlenut. This Indonesian Roast Chicken with Candlenut is best eaten with white steam rice.
Ingredients 1 :
- 1 medium size chicken, clean and removed excess fat and cut into 4 pieces.
- 2 cups thick coconut cream
- 5 big red chilies remove seeds and cut vertically
- 2 stalks lemon grass, use the bottom white part only, and bruise
- 4 pieces of lime leaves tear into smaller pieces
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoon of sugar or to taste
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
Ingredients 2 :
(add some water and grind/blend into a paste)
- 5 pieces shallots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1" (2 cm) of fresh turmeric
- ½" (1 cm) of ginger
- 10 pieces of candle nuts
Cooking Instructions :
- In a wok, heat cooking oil and sauté the blended ingredients until slightly golden brown and fragrant.
- Add in the chilies, lemon grass, lime leaves, cinnamon powder and pepper.
- Add in the chicken parts and continue to cook until chicken pieces is half cook.
- Add in the coconut cream and bring to boil. Continue to simmer until the sauce is almost dry. Add in salt and sugar.
- Take the chicken out and put on a baking tray to roast at 180C (350F)
- Preheat oven to the required temperature and roast uncovered for 20 - 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remember to baste chicken occasionally with the remaining sauce.