Opor ayam or braised chicken in coconut milk recipe is one of the many well known
Indonesian dishes. This recipe is said to have been originated from Central and Eastern
Java. In this Opor ayam or braised chicken in coconut milk recipe, chicken pieces are
cooked with coconut milk after being seasoned with various herbs and spices. This dish
is best eaten while still hot with white steamed rice or ketupat (pressed rice).
Ingredients 1 :
- 1 medium size chicken (2.0 lbs / ~ 0.9 kg), trim excess fat and sinew and cut into 8 - 12 pieces
- 1 cups of coconut milk (use less or more if you like the gravy to be thick and creamy)
- 2 cups of water or chicken stock
- 2 teaspoon of palm sugar (gula jawa), substitute with brown sugar if not available
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised (use the bottom part only)
- 3 pieces of kaffir lime leaf, tear into smaller pieces(optional, omit if un-available)
- 6 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon Indonesia sweet soy sauce (kicap manis)
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
Ingredients 2 :
(add some water and grind into a smooth paste)
- 5 pieces shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 pieces candlenuts
- 1 teaspoon white pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1" galangal, remove skin
Cooking Instructions :
- Heat 4 tablespoon of cooking oil in a wok on medium heat. Fry the chicken until the
skin is slightly golden brown (half cook). Remove and set aside.
- In a different wok, heat 2 tablespoon of cooking oil on medium heat and sauté the
paste ingredients until its emits an aromatic fragrant.
- Pour in the coconut milk, water or chicken stock, palm sugar, lemon grass, kaffir
lime leaves, lemongrass and chicken pieces.
- Bring the liquid to boil before reducing the heat and continue to simmer for about
30 minutes or until the chicken pieces is soft and tender and the gravy is thick
(about half from the beginning).
- Add in pepper, sweet soy sauce and salt according to your preference.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve while still hot with white steamed rice or