If you like asparagus, try this asparagus with chicken recipe where the use of asparagus in
the ingredients gives the dish a slightly bitter taste. This dish is highly nutritious as
asparagus is often called the super veggies. It is full of vitamins A, B and C, virtually
fat-free, and full of fiber and folic acid. Add some other vegetables or ingredients of
your choice such as broccoli or mushroom for more variety. This asparagus with chicken dish
is best eaten while still hot with white steamed rice.
- 2 pieces chicken thigh, remove skin and excess fat and cut to bite-size pieces
- 10 stalks medium Asparagus spears, clean and remove the white ends and cut to 2" long
- 3 tablespoon cooking oil
- ¼ cup carrots, slice
((marinating sauce - combine and mix well in a bowl))
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 2 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon douchi (fermented black beans)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoon thick soy sauce
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in ¼ cup water
Cooking Instructions :
- In a bowl, mix the rice wine, soy sauce, oyster sauce, cornstarch and sugar and add in the
chicken pieces. Mix well to ensure that the marinating sauce goes into the meat. Leave to
marinade for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse the fermented black beans with water to remove excess salt and mash it in a bowl.
Add in garlic, brown sugar, soy sauce, oyster sauce and chicken stock and mix well.
- In a wok, add cooking oil and when oil is hot, add in the chicken pieces and stir until
light brown or half cooked. Remove chicken pieces from wok and set aside.
- With the remaining cooking oil, reheat back the wok. When wok is hot, add in the mash
fermented black bean sauce and saute for about 1 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add in the cut asparagus and stir to mix with the sauce. Add in the chicken pieces and
bring the sauce to boil.
- Continue to simmer for about 5 minutes or until the asparagus tips are tender and the
sauce is almost dry and is reduced to a glaze. Add in the cornstarch/water to thicken the
sauce if necessary.
- If the sauce is still watery, remove the ingredients from the wok and continue to simmer
the sauce until it is thick before adding back the ingredients to coat them with the sauce.
- Pour the mixture into a serving plate and serve with white steam rice.